Sports defeat Celtic in seven goal thriller

PANNAL SPORTS U-16s came away with maximum points with a 4-3 victory in the eagerly awaited game at KNARESBOROUGH CELTIC.

The game started at a frantic pace and Celtic’s defence was caught out when Didomenico opened the scoring with a great finish. Celtic had a chance to bring the scores level but failed and just before half time Lewis Barker scored at the far post to make the score 2-0 at half time.

Straight after half time Celtic played some good football to get behind the Sports defence and Isaacson was on hand to score.

Both sides then had chances, but Boothroyd made a great run down the left wing and played the perfect pass into Didomenico who made no mistake in getting his second goal of the game.

Not long after, Sports had another chance but Hazlett was on hand to smother the shot.

Connery and Milsted were playing well for Celtic but they could do nothing when Goulding made the score 4-1.

Celtic then went for bust, playing Westerman up front and Hall came on to add pressure to the Sports defence.

The plan worked and Murray scored from the penalty spot and then straight after the restart finished well to make the game 4-3. With minutes remaining the pressure mounted on the Sports defence, but they held firm to come out deserved winners in this thoroughly hard but entertaining game which was played in the correct spirit which always befits this fixture.

PANNAL SPORTS U-16s previously continued their 100 per cent record in all competitions with a fine 6-1 victory over Cookridge Albion in the Harrogate and District Cup at Queen Ethalburga's.

Following their 7-1 win over Bankfoot Villa in the County Cup, Sports continued their fine goalscoring form against Albion.

Goals came from Jordan Barker (2), Tom Joel, Andrew Upton, Callum Goulding and Marco DiDomico to destroy Cookridge and book a place in the second round of the competition.

After a couple of encouraging performances which promised a brighter season ahead, KIRK DEIGHTON RANGERS U-15s returned to old ways when some sloppy defending saw them defeated 5-3 by KILLINGHALL NOMADS BLUES at Loshpot Lane.

The game started well for Deighton, who took only four minutes to go ahead through Matt Dreze, but the lead was wiped out almost immediately and by half-time Deighton were 5-1 down.

A vastly improved second-half performance saw the deficit reduced further when first a Dreze header looped over the line and then when Nick Frost followed up a terrific free-kick from Ben Jones which came off both bar and ‘keeper.

Despite some disappointing performances, there were encouraging displays from birthday boy Matt Carr, Ben Jones, fit-again Phil Carroll and in particular, skipper Josh Vivian, who was outstanding – a diving header off the line typifying his ‘never say die’ attitude.

HARROGATE RAILWAY U-15s ran out 5-3 winners at WETHERBY despite travelling without first choice ‘keeper Dan Batt.

Ben Parkes played in goal in one half and Sam Tugman the other and both played very well.

Leading 4-0 at half time with goals from Dom Creamer, Matt Turrill, Dom Wilson and Ben Willaims, in the second half Wetherby put Rail under some pressure before Sam Davey made it five only for Wetherby to get three goals back late on.

HARROGATE RAILWAY U-15s GIRLS maintained their 100 per cent record with a well crafted 2-0 victory against a spirited KILLINGHALL NOMADS side.

The first half saw both teams playing within themselves and as a result there were few chances at either end.

Leah Mercer had the best opportunity of the half but her powerful shot was brilliantly saved by the Killinghall ‘keeper.

However, the second half saw Railway step up a gear and applying more and more pressure on the Killinghall goal.

Their slick passing football was eventually rewarded when Megan Caughney finished emphatically from close range.

The goal gave Railway a further lift with Katy Munt, Leah Mercer and Mercede Riolfo playing some neat interchanges within the heart of the Railway midfield.

Railway doubled their lead when Leah Mercer struck home an unstoppable shot from just inside penalty area after a flowing move. Killinghall worked hard to get back into the match but on the occasions they threatened the Railway goal they were thwarted by some resilient defending, with girl of the match Miranda Ibrahimi and Becky Sewell looking particularly assured.

The game finished with Railway securing a well deserved victory in a very sporting match for which both teams deserve great credit.

HARROGATE RAILWAY U-14s lost their first league match in 18 months when they were beaten 2-0 by a very hardworking KIRK DEIGHTON team who fully deserved their win.

Despite a lot of Railway possession in the first half the Kirk Deighton ‘keeper was not really tested and having already had one goal disallowed for offside, Deighton caught Railway on the break and took the lead shortly before half-time.

Railway tried hard to play their way back into the game and never gave up, but a second Kirk Deighton goal midway through the second half ended Railway's impressive start to the season.

COLLINGHAM U-14s took on Old Modernians and beat them 5-0.

Collingham captain Will Cracknell opened the scoring with a drilled shot and by half time had added two more goals. Collingham continued to press forward in the second half and David Tattersall added a fourth with a well placed shot over the goalkeeper.

Old Mods fought back but were denied a goal following some stout defending by Collingham's Felix Hill and Henry Verhees.

Collingham added a fifth goal following a Cracknell shot to secure their fourth consecutive clean sheet.

BOROUGHBRIDGE U-14s recovered to gain a deserved 3-2 victory against Lawnswood.

‘Bridge were soon 1-0 down to a good Lawnswood strike before a superbly taken Mike Leaf-Puvansesan goal brought them level.

‘Bridge then suffered a blow as central defender Scott Barnes was unable to continue due to a muscle injury. ‘Bridge’s players worked hard with ‘keeper Andy Lincoln making some great catches in an evenly contested first half.

After the break a pinpoint throughball from Dan Cheeseman was taken on by Sean Corbett who rifled it home for a 2-1 lead.

Lawnswood equalised but their joy was shortlived when their keeper was only able to parry a powerful shot from Cheeseman and Leaf-Puvanesan put away the rebound.

‘Bridge then kept their composure for a deserved 3-2 victory

BOROUGHBRIDGE U-13s were beaten 3-1 by a very determined RIPON CITY PANTHERS side.

Boroughbridge went 1-0 down early on then conceded a second midway through the half however a great strike from outside the area from Liam Lambert reduced the score to 2-1 at half time.

‘Bridge tried to get back on level terms but were thwarted by the Ripon ‘keeper who was having an outstanding game.

Half way through the half Ripon extended their lead to win the match 3-1 and take a deserved victory.

Man of the Match for Boroughbridge was Jack Herron.

KIRK DEIGHTON U-12s have had two back-to-back victories.

They got off to a flying start against Nidd in the First Round of the Cup, opening with a cracking header from Luke Dubery.

Nidd equalised shortly after only to see Luke Trower clear off his own line and minutes later restore the lead for Deighton just before half-time.

After a solid second half performance from Deighton, when Ayden Wicks was inspirational throughout in his marshalling of the back four, Danny Betty rounded off the scoring, sealing a 3-1 win and taking them into the next round.

Last weekend saw a tough league match against Guiseley which Deighton came through with a 3-2 victory.

After continued early pressure Luke Dubery opened the scoring for Kirk Deighton with Josh Waddell making it two.

Guiseley fought back to make it 2-2 but early in the second half Danny Betty rounded off the scoring with a third exceptional individual goal.

A crowd in excess of 40 were present as KNARESBOROUGH CELTIC U-12s returned home for this week’s encounter which they won 10-1 against HARROGATE RAILWAY.

Celtic - riding high in second in the table before the match - soon hit their stride and after four minutes Sam H coolly finished to open the scoring.

Eight minutes later after some fine saves by the Railway keeper Johnny T scored a second following a 30 yard run.

Edward G soon started to show his dribbling skills and following a mazy run and a piercing pass to Johnny T Celtic were three nil up.

Edward G then took further advantage and gave Celtic a fourth.

Lewis C was by now settling into his playmaker role in the centre of the park and five minutes before half time he floated the ball beyond the keeper’s fingertips to make it five. Johnny T notched in the sixth for Celtic just as half time struck.

Changes at the break and fresh impetus from Harrogate Railway brought a fiery second half.

Lewis C pounced on a goal mouth scramble to make it seven and the passions were beginning to rise. A penalty for Celtic converted by Luke M was soon followed by some tense tackling and bad temper.

Johnny T made it nine and Sean F came on as a substitute to fire home the tenth.

In the dying few minutes the strong Celtic defence who had suppressed all attacks made their first mistake and a penalty was awarded to Railway who finished well for a late consolation.

RIPON CITY PANTHERS U-12s came out 4-1 winners from their battle with PANNAL SPORTS.

Egzon Obmuga opened the Ripon scoring making it 1-0 at half time.

Further goals followed from Alex Taylor, Jimmie Drummond and Tom Coull before Pannal’s Tom Hammill grabbed a late consolation.

A back to full strength COLLINGHAM U-11s squad travelled to Leeds City Colt's Adel ground and produced a slick performance with a 7-0 victory.

Collingham scored their first goal from the kick-off (the whistle blew and eight passes later the ball was in the back of the Leeds City net) after an elegant finish from midfield dynamo Robert Hopkins.

Collingham continued to dominate proceedings from then on with attack after attack only being thwarted by an excellent Leeds City keeper and poor finishing from Collingham.

The score was finally added to before half time by the classy Jo Lee.

The second half saw Collingham step up a gear and produce five more goals, two from Jo Lee to complete his hat-trick, one from James Groom and two from Oliver Williams.

The clean sheet also deserves mention with great contributions from the keeper and defence and the run from left back by Joel Groom that beat six players will live long in the memory.

RIPON CITY PANTHERS U-11s girls had a close encounter with KNARESBOROUGH CELTIC U-11s, the game eventually drawn 2-2.

Lauryn Colman opened the scoring for Panthers with a well taken penalty but Knaresborough came back to make it 1-1 at half time.

Emily Chandler then restored the Panthers lead with a great left foot shot but Knaresborough came back again to make the final score 2-2.

All the Panthers team played really well with Lauryn Colman being named their best player.

HARROGATE RAILWAY U-10s played four thrilling games against Lawnswood last weekend.

All teams battled hard with Lawnswood coming away with seven points to Rail’s four.

Goal scorers for Rail’ were Elliott Day (2), Mat Cliff, Jacob Fincham-Dukes and Callum Milburn.

Man of the match went to Luke Richardson and Ben Parker.

In a much anticipated fixture, PANNAL ASH U-10s were away to PANNAL SPORTS where the spectators were treated to four games of excellent football.

Unfortunately for Ash, Sports won three while the last one was drawn.

Pannal Ash were the more nervous with first touch letting them down, and they were not allowed to settle on the ball and find their rhythm.

However, the boys’ heads never dropped and they battled on until the end trying to find the elusive goals. Special mentions go to Jasper Jacobs, Callum Wright, Luke Phillips and Rory Pitt for their high work rate.

PANNAL SPORTS U-10s PANTHERS played BOROUGHBRIDGE and lost the first two games 3-0 and 2-0.

Pannal turned matters around in the second two games earning a great 2-2 draw with goals from Jamie Grinrod and Ed Thompson and winning the other game in great style 5-1. Matt Bulled scored a hat trick and further goals from Ryan Spence and Jack Jacobs sealed the victory.

Much deserved Man of the Match awards went to George Sellars and Ryan Spence.

PANNAL ASH U-9s dug deep to see off COLLINGHAM U-9s 2-1 in the First Round of the cup.

An end to end, nailibiting game finished 1-1 after normal time but Pannal struck an extra time winner putting them in the next round.

PANNAL SPORTS U-8s played two games against Wigton Moor, Team A winning 6-0 and Team B 7-4.

In the first game, Jack Finlay scored his first league goal of the season, Luke Mcavoy scored his first hat trick and George Mills scored his first free kick - a stunning strike taken from near the centre line and finishing in the top corner of the net.

However. it was Josh Read Rowlands who rounded off the goal fest with the last kick of the game.

The win was all the more convincing knowing that Wigton Moor‘s defence was robust through out and never gave up.

An attacking second game from both teams saw Pannal Sports B to yet another victory.

Harry Robertson scored two, Joel Fireman hit four and Liam Kitching grabbed another.

However, it was Pannal’s defence that proved the difference between the two teams.

Nathan Firth played a remarkably strong game and Jack Lazenby impressed with an incredible goal line save.