Rugby Union: Wetherby reach Yorkshire Silver Trophy quarters as Ripon fall to surprise defeat

Wetherby captain Danny Warden kicked over two shots at goal against Leeds Modernians (Photo: Guy Roberts)

Unbeatable Wetherby made it through to the quarter-finals of the Yorkshire Silver Trophy as they battled the elements in a league and cup double away at Leeds Modernians on Saturday.

Despite trailing 3-0 at half time, Wetherby hit back with tries from George Gilbert and Will Cayton in a 17-3.

Iain Barker carries forward for Ripon against Knottingley

Captain Danny Warden said: “Without a doubt it was the worst conditions we’ve had. It was horrific, you were cold to the bone.

“With all things considered, we were pleased to get over the line. It’s difficult in those situations to show off any skill sets so it became a case of putting the ball up your jumper in the forwards.

The cup victory takes Wetherby closer towards a historic treble this season and continued their club record 51-match unbeaten streak.

Wetherby are also through to the quarter final of the National Junior Vase without even touching a ball after both Yarm and Prudoe and Stocksfield dropped out of the competition.

Ripon slipped to a surprise 15-13 defeat at second bottom Knottingley

Wetherby were due to play the two teams from Durham and Northumberland Division Three this month and will now go forward as the North East’s representative. They will face the winners of the West competition next month. The winners of that tie will then play the best of the Midlands competition for a place at the national stadium.

Ripon queried a controversial ending after slipping to only their second defeat since October in a shock loss in Yorkshire Two.

The Blues were pressing for a match-winning score in the final moments of their game against second-bottom Knottingley.

But the referee blew the full-time whistle with at least one minute left to play following a hooked Tim Tombling conversion attempt – leaving the Blues trailing 15-13.

Wetherby have now won 51 games in a row (Photo: Guy Roberts)

Ripon trailed 10-3 at the break after conceding the only try of the first half but Ben Buckley’s converted score pulled them back to within two points.

Knottingley responded with their match-winning second try before Jack McRobert touched down to give Ripon hope. The Mallorie Parkers were forcing the play at the death before Tombling’s last gasp penalty chance came up well short.

Meanwhile, Harrogate Pythons’ match at Aireborough in Yorkshire Division Three was postponed. Pythons return to action at home to bottom side Rotherham Pheonix on Saturday.

More from Sport