Late Boroughbridge spotkick draws derby at Ripon City

hsb  Ripon City v Boroughbridge.   (121201M5e)
hsb Ripon City v Boroughbridge. (121201M5e)
Share this article

In-form James McDaid’s injury-time penalty completed Boroughbridge’s comeback to share the spoils 3-3 in Saturday’s crunch at Ripon City.

City boss Charlie Brown rued missed chances and the ‘sickening’ contentious penalty after his side “dropped two points” in their second West Yorkshire League derby of the season.

City led 3-1 heading into the game’s final 10 minutes before Steve Paffett and McDaid hauled Boroughbridge level.

The late spotkick was awarded by the referee’s assistant after Matt McGlinchey tangled with ‘Bridge forward Danny Webster.

And Brown fumed that the referee should have stuck to his original decision, after initially awarding City a goal-kick.

“It was a bit of a kick in the teeth,” the gaffer said.

“I asked the referee about it after and he said he didn’t think it was a penalty. That was the real sickener.”

But in the opposing dugout, Daz Ekin claimed it was a “stonewall penalty”.

“If it had been one of my defenders I would have gone crazy with him,” he said.

“Danny wasn’t going to get the ball but the defender came right across him.”

Despite agreeing with the referee’s final act, Ekin criticised the man in black for “wanting to be the star of the show”.

Seven bookings were shared between the teams and Ekin thought most were harshly awarded.

“When you play these derbies you do get stuck in. Some of the tackles that ended in cards were good tackles,” he added.

“The game was too stop-start. I think the referee thought everyone had turned up to see him.”

Bridge went into the contest having beaten their rivals in their two previous encounters. But their stranglehold was soon set aside as City started the match brighter.

Strikers Duncan Terry and Tom Leeming ran the ‘Bridge defence ragged, forcing an own goal before Leeming put them two up.

Bridge pulled one back before the break through Ben Jones but Terry’s third looked to have secured City maximum points.

However, Bridge piled forward in the final 10 minutes and clawed their way to a sixth league draw this campaign.

And with the sides due to meet again on December 7 in the West Riding County Cup, Bridge boss Ekin believes the momentum is all with side.

“We didn’t feel like we had drawn,” he added.

“The cheering and singing afterwards was like we had won the game. It’s a massive boost.

“For 30 minutes they absolutely battered us. If it had been a boxing match it would’ve been stopped. But we worked back into the game and in the second-half it was more even.”

And, Ekin said he had full confidence 12-goal captain McDaid would score from the spot.

“He’s full of confidence at the moment,” he said.

“We were so happy to see him step up. We knew then that we had at least a point.

“We are thrilled to have him.

“His goal haul is fantastic. The way he’s going he might make 30 goals this season.”

City were without key midfielder Adam Robinson for the clash and Brown admitted his missing presence in midfield was a contributing factor to the defeat. Brown cut a frustrated figure with his side not failing to take the initiative ahead of next month’s landmark County Cup match.

But City’s chief took solace from his side’s rise into the top five for the first time this year, stretching their unbeaten run to five games in the process.

“We have thrown a couple of points away,” he said.

“It was a game we should have put to bed. And we still should have held out.

“It was a good opportunity to get the win, especially with the County Cup game coming up.

“It would have given us something to build on.

“We didn’t look comfortable with the ball being loaded into the box, and that’s something we will look at before the next clash.”