French star Back in town

Knaresborough Town's Seb Carole. Picture by Roy Coote
Knaresborough Town's Seb Carole. Picture by Roy Coote

Knaresborough Town have added Champions League experience to fire them forward for their NCEL Premier Division title push.

Town boss Brian Davey has re-signed former Monaco and Leeds United winger Seb Carole after a short stint at League One side Bury.

The 30-year-old Frenchman travelled to Knaresborough on Tuesday to finalise the move and made his return to the starting line-up in the 4-0 win at Teversal.

Carole played 18 games for Town at the start of the season, scoring against Yorkshire Amatuer, before leaving for Greater Manchester.

Davey said: “He went off to Bury to progress his career but wasn’t getting much of a game.

“He’s the type of player who would rather play than sit on the substitutes bench. He’s played at loads of sides, and was at the Champions League final with Monaco. He’s a great signing for us.”

Town missed out on a chance to go top after losing to fellow high-fliers Athersley Recreation 1-0 on Saturday.

Craig Heard had an early shot tipped onto the post before Athersley themselves struck the angle of the upright.

The score remained 0-0 at half-time butAthersley continued to press after the break.

The solitary goal came in the 67th minute when Lee Bennett smashed home after a collision in the area left the ball free.

Town searched for an equaliser but Matt Duerden and Liam Gray both headed over. Davey said the raucous atmosphere at the Barnsley outfit unsettled some of his younger players.

“It was a very intimidating place and the supporters were very noisy,” he said.

“We are a bit soft up here around Knaresborough and Harrogate and you go these places and they are very vocal.

“I’ll sit down with the players and say ‘you are going to get some abuse at some places’.

“They will learn from it.”

The defeat ended a six game winning streak for Town and left them third in the table.

But Davey said his second-placed side are still in the title mix.

“It was a shame. We went with a chance to go top of the league but it was a little too much for us,” he said.

“We didn’t play to our strengths and then we got hit by a sucker goal. Our forwards didn’t perform on the day.”

But Boro responded in the right way on Tuesday, Byron Littlefair opening the scoring before Heard netted a hat-trick.

Davey’s men host Bottesford Town on Saturday with defender Duerden facing up to the same side he fractured his skull against in September.

The injury in the 1-1 draw left Duerden on the sidelines for three months but Davey said it would not haunt him at the weekend.

“It’s the thing we remember from the game,” Davey said. “Matt will be back up against the same centre forward this time.

“They are a good footballing side. But it is another one we want to take three points from.”