Football: Town held at home by Droyslden

NADV 1302165AM7 Harrogate Town V Worcester.  Chib Chilaka. Adrian Murray.  (1302165AM7)
NADV 1302165AM7 Harrogate Town V Worcester. Chib Chilaka. Adrian Murray. (1302165AM7)

Harrogate Town had to settle for a point at the CNG Stadium on Tuesday night, after being held to a 1-1 draw by relegation-threatened Droyslden.

Ex-Town defender Danny Stimpson joined the Bloods on Tuesday morning, and was named in the squad for the evening game.

Simon Weaver’s men came out of the blocks very quickly, and went a goal ahead through defender Shane Killock in the 17th minute.

He looped a shot over Droylsden’s ‘keeper,but after this Town were profligate in front of goal as chance after chance went missing.

Danny Forrest and Chib Chilaka both went close through one-on-ones with the ‘keeper but neither were able to find the net.

Just before half-time, Droylsden seized their chance and made it 1-1 through Matthew Ward.

A frustrating second half followed, and midfieler Adam Nowakowski was booked in the 78th minute, as Droylsden slowed down the play to make sure of the point they desperately need.

Their tactics worked a treat as the final score remained 1-1.

Town’s position in Blue Square North is unchanged, as they sit eighth in the table.

But FC Halifax’s 2-1 win at Gloucester has propelled Town’s play-off rivals into the top five.

Town’s next match is away at Gloucester City on Saturday, before they welcome Boston United to Wetherby Road next Tuesday night.

Elsewhere, Harrogate Railway drew nil-nil away at Ossett Town in the Evo Stik First Division North.

Tadcaster Albion meanwhile were beaten 2-1 away at Nostell Miners Welfare in the NCEL Premier.

Knaresborough Town carried on wining ways with a 2-0 win over Clipstone Welfare at Manse Lane, to rise to third in the NCEL First Division.

Byron Littlefair had a header wide and Matt Donnelly a shot tipped over by Jamie Davies as Knaresborough came out of the blocks very quickly and strung together some good moves.

A Craig Heard shot was tipped wide by Davies before the same player gave ‘Boro’ the lead in the 14th minute when he shot home after Dave Thomas’ lobbed pass onto the area.

Ten minutes later, a great move down the right saw Matt Donnelly centre for Steve Bromley to head powerfully home.

The second goal shook Clipstone into action and Rob Palin shot over before Liam Pride headed wide when well placed from a right wing cross.

Adam Cooke’s free kick was easily saved by Jack Rushworth but the half ended after Littlefair had a fine shot kept out by Davies after another Donnelly centre.

The second half was a far more even affair with Clipstone not allowing Knaresborough as much space and the passing becoming less crisp and flowing.

Littlefair did have one shot saved before Cooke missed a good chance for the visitors after Rushworth failed to get distance on a punch clear.

Bromley had one goal chalked off for offside before heading over when well-placed and Joel Freeston had a late shot saved.