Football round-up: Harrogate Town through in FA Cup as Knaresborough stun Hull United

Brendan Daniels sent Harrogate Town into the FA Cup third qualifying round with the only goal of the game at Workington on Saturday.

Saturday, 26th September 2015, 7:51 pm
Brendan Daniels was Harrogate Town's hero at Workington (Photo: Craig Hurle)
Brendan Daniels was Harrogate Town's hero at Workington (Photo: Craig Hurle)

Daniels hammered home a 30-yard free-kick late on to see off the Evo-Stik Northern League Premier side in a game of few clear cut chances for both sides.

Simon Weaver’s men will now eagerly await the draw for the third qualifying round, which sees ties played on October 10.

The win at Workington also saw the return of midfielder Andy Gascoigne, who was an unused substitute.

The former Goole AFC player has spent seven months on the sidelines after suffering a double leg break against Chorley in February.

Town boss Weaver also gave a first start of the season to ex-Hull City midfielder Ryan Fallowfield, who broke a bone in his foot during pre-season.

Meanwhile, Harrogate Railway went down to a third defeat on the trot in Evo-Stik First Division North, losing 2-1 at Ossett Albion.

Albion took the lead inside five minutes when Connor Bower got behind the Rail’ defence and slotted into the corner.

Andy Gascoigne returned to the Harrogate Town squad after seven months out. Picture : Adrian Murray. (1502213AM3)

Former Town midfielder Eddie Birch then doubled Ossett’s lead in the second half before Vincent Dhesi halved the deficit with ten minutes to go.

Tadcaster Albion dropped off the top of the Northern Counties East League Premier table in a high-scoring defeat at Barton Town Old Boys 4-3.

Nick Black put Albion ahead inside two minutes but the Old Boys turned the tie in their favour with three goals.

Paddy Miller then flicked Tom Claisse’s shot into the top corner before Jimmy Beadle’s penalty brought the scores level.

Barton responded, however, and Scott Phillips found the winner on 78 minutes.

Beadle had a late opportunity to secure a point for Tad but his second spotkick of the game was saved.

Barton ended the game with ten men when Brad Ricketts was sent off in an off the ball incident.

Elsewhere, Knaresborough Town shocked title favourites Hull United 2-1 at Manse Lane.

Toby Lees gave Boro the lead but United, managed by former professional boxer Curtis Woodhouse, pulled level on the half hour mark.

Graham Whitehead’s second half goal returned the lead to Boro, and they were able to hold on as United ended the game with ten men.