Football: Knaresborough Town 1-2 Hemsworth Miners Welfare

hsb  Knaresborough Town
hsb Knaresborough Town

Knaresborough Town let slip a first-half lead to fall down against Hemsworth Miners Welfare 2-1 at Manse Lane on Saturday.

Byron Littlefair put an under-par Knaresborough ahead before the break when his in-swinging corner went in off the post.

Hemsworth clawed back into the contest two minutes after the restart when striker Nick Guest slotted in.

The visitors stole maximum points from a late corner, which substitute Nash Connolly headed in at the near post.

With many matches across NCEL Division One called off, Boro were lucky their Manse Lane pitch had survived an earlier deluge for the contest to take place.

But the Reds were dealt a blow before the start of the clash when inspirational captain Liam Gray pulled his hamstring in the warm up.

Youngster Josh Garbutt took Gray’s place up front, starting alongside Colin Heath.

But it was the visiting frontline which had the best chance of the early stages.

Guest found space in the Boro area but his low shot trickled wide.

Chances remained at a premium for both sides, as Boro enjoyed a heavy wind in their backs.

And it was the conditions which helped Littlefair’s deep corner rebound off the post to put Boro ahead.

Heath had an excellent chance to pull Boro further clear but his shot flew over the bar after neat work by Will Lenehan and Littlefair.

Boro were good value for their half-time lead after dominating the first-half possession.

But the visitors pulled back within minutes of the game getting back underway, moments after Boro winger Danny Wright was taken off injured.

The hosts failed to clear their lines and the ball dropped kindly for Guest to chip over sprawling Boro stopper Matt Butler into the corner.

The goal spurred the visitors on and Boro were left feeding off scraps in the opposition half.

Connolly made a perfect run to the near post to nod past Butler’s left-hand and give the away side victory.

Boro toiled to find an equaliser but their attack was found lacking punch.

The defeat left them eighth in NCEL Division One, but manager Brian Davey was left ruing a chance to gain ground on the league’s top seven.