Brian Davey seeks a stronger Knaresborough FC

Knaresborough Town in action against Pontefract Collieries
Knaresborough Town in action against Pontefract Collieries

Knaresborough Town boss Brian Davey reckons his side require more brutality to improve next season.

Town earned a point at third-placed Cleethorpes Town 1-1 in their penultimate NCEL Division One game on Saturday.

Davey’s side have a free week before ending their season at Selby Town on May 4.

‘Boro had the better chances against Cleethorpes and Steve Bromley could have opened the scoring early on but missed three early efforts, including sending a diving header just wide.

The best chance of the first half fell to Colin Heath who latched on to a defensive error and rounded ‘keeper, Scott Drury, only to fire wide of goal.

Cleethorpes started the second half brightly but Jack Rushworth produced two saves as the home side found their shooting boots lacking.

The match looked set to be a single goal shootout and it looked ominous for Knaresborough when the home side went ahead after 70 minutes.

Darren Hanslip headed home after ‘Boro failed to clear a corner.

Within a minute, the direction of the match turned and ‘Boro could have levelled but substitute Craig Heard lobbed over after breaking clear.

But it wasn’t long before Davey’s battling side grabbed a vital equaliser.

Carl Heard delivered an excellent centre from the right and Joel Freeston smashed home through two defenders.

‘Boro continued to carve out chances at the death and Craig Heard should have stolen the points but he ran the ball too wide after rounding the goalkeeper.

Davey said: “The finishing was a bit disappointing but we were very good.

“We kept on going at them and the goal just didn’t come.”

The boss reckoned Cleethorpes were an average side that offered a physical test, something his side need to improve on next season.

The gaffer said: “We need to get a bigger side and become more aggressive. Other teams are more physical and we are a nice team trying to play football.

“We have learnt a lot this year. We need to be louder.”

Meanwhile, a weakened Knaresborough Reserves slipped out of the West Yorkshire League Division Two top two after losing 3-2 at Glasshoughton Welfare.

Fraser Lancaster put ‘Boro ahead after 12 minutes but it took the home side only eight minutes to level the score.

Glasshoughton went 2-1 up but Blaine Hobson equalised before the break. Town lost two defenders to injury in the first half and it came back to hurt them as Welfare struck an 80th minute winner.

Follow Ackrill Sport on Twitter: @AckrillSport @EdWhite2507