All set for Knaresborough’s landmark tie

Dave Thomas strikes it for Knaresborough Town
Dave Thomas strikes it for Knaresborough Town

Knaresborough Town and neighbours Knaresborough Celtic are set to go brow to brow competitively for the first time.

The pair will lock horns in the Whitworth Cup quarter-finals at Manse Lane on Tuesday night (kick-off 7.45).

Town fell foul to the curse of the spotkicks when their four match winning run was ended by Grimsby Borough.

Two “stonewall” second half penalties helped Grimsby beat Brian Davey’s men 2-1 at the Bradley Football Development Centre on Saturday.

And Town had further woes from 12 yards when Colin Heath had his spotkick saved in the first half.

The defeat dropped Boro down to 11th in NCEL Division One.

Celtic meanwhile overcame Pannal Sports 1-0 in the Harrogate & District Premier, but remain third from bottom.

Davey’s Town hosted Evo-Stik bottom side Ossett Albion in the West Riding County Cup last night, after the Post went to press.

Sixth-placed AFC Emsley visit Manse Lane this Saturday (kick-off 3pm) and club spokesman Ian Pickles predicted a difficult examination.

But he was unsure on the line-up Davey would have at his disposal.

He said: “It’ll be a tough one. They are a good side.

“They have lost a couple of players to Shaw Lane Aquaforce but they have been playing well.”

Grimsby almost took the lead inside a minute on Saturday but Ben Clayton’s alertness denied Andrew Taylor after he had rounded Tom Ryder.

Heath was brought down in the 25th minute, but his kick was saved by the diving stopper Brad Beattie. Fraser Lancaster and Graham Whitehead’s follow up efforts also failed to hit the net.

Heath then headed a Jim Bradley free kick wide, but the half petered out without further chances.

On 50 minutes, Lancaster set up a chance for Blaine Hobson.

But after Beattie partly saved, David Unsworth - not the former Premier League player - made a spectacular clearance from his own line.

Grimsby then struck the post before Dave Thomas conceded the first penalty after getting into a tangle and Kyle Bensley slammed home.

Six minutes later, Hobson ran forward and passed through to Heath who scored into the bottom corner to make it 1-1.

Ryder saved well twice but as Knaresborough tried to scramble the ball away, Will Lenehan conceded a second penalty in the 84th minute. Bensley again scored to secure the win.

“That little bit of luck ran out,” Pickles said.
“Having missed a penalty in the first half it was frustrating to see them put their’s away.

“All the players knew they had done enough to win the game.

“While heads were down after four defeats before, they were down again after one.”

Meanwhile, Knaresborough reserves won 3-1 at home to Carlton Athletic with all the goals coming in a hectic first half.

Craig Robinson opened the scoring with a fourth minute penalty after Michael Harper was fouled and Edmore Murau doubled the advantage in the 32nd minute.

A contentious ‘offside goal’ was allowed to stand as Denis Katuro made it 2-1, but within a minute Murau restored the two-goal cushion to complete the scoring.