‘Bridge ready for hellish month

NARG1103125 Boroughbridge V Old Centralions. 1103125AMb
NARG1103125 Boroughbridge V Old Centralions. 1103125AMb

THIS is not an April Fool- eight months of the season have already pased but Boroughbridge are only half-way through their fixture list.

A combination of the festive winter crisis and a sustained run in the League and County Cup has proved a major headache for Ekin until the rest of the season.

A return to night football will alleviate the problem.

But with three proposed in the next few weeks all away from home it poses a number of problems for the Aldborough Road gaffer.

“It’s horrendous,” said Ekin.

“We are really going to have a nightmare getting all the players to the away games.

“It wouldn’t have been so bad if a few would have been at home but they’re all away.

“But that’s the price you pay I suppose if you have a good run in the cups.”

‘Bridge are at Field tomorrow (2.30pm ko) just three days after their mid week trip to Kellingley which they won 3-0. Next Wednesday they face a tough trip to league leaders Bardsey (6.15pm).

On Saturday, hit by suspensions and the unavailability of key players ‘Bridge were forced to play Danny Webster and Baz O’Neill in a central defensive formation and their tentative start was not helped by a poor playing surface. Unsurprisingly, the home side made the early running and Bridge were happy to see Danny King shoot tamely over from a good position when a Richard Dobson free kick was headed into his path. It was 20 minutes before home ‘keeper Chris Young was brought into action as he punched away a Jimmy Tucknott cross and12 minutes later they had their best chance of the half when James McDaid picked out Ben Jones but the ‘Bridge forward failed to get any power into his header.

With the limited goal mouth action a 0-0 interval score was fairly predictable. But within five minutes of the restart Ben Clayton had one effort cleared off the line by David Ward and brought out a good save from Chris Young with his second attempt only for the Carlton ‘keeper to have no chance on 53 minutes when he was left stranded by a Chris Hastings shot that took a wicked deflection off Stuart Walker. ‘Bridge took some confidence from this and following a good spell they increased their lead on 74 minutes with a powerful Tucknott header to a Hastings corner. Three minutes later the returning Marcus Philpott clipped a McDaid cross over the Carlton ‘keeper for their third.

This proved to be a late wake up call for the home side as King forced Hogg into action from a free kick, the ‘Bridge keeper then beaten by a Chris Thornton penalty on 83 minutes. He was happy to see Kevin Mils fire over a minute later for the last serious action the game.

Man-of-the-match was Baz O’Neil.