The names of the candidates who will be fighting for Ripon’s three electoral divisions for Harrogate Borough Council and Ripon City Council have been revealed.
Harrogate Borough Council (district elections):
– Minster Ward: Elizabeth Barclay (Green), Vivienne Graham (Labour), Kenn Hart (UKIP), Zoe Metcalfe (Conservative) and Charlie Powell (Independent).
– Moorside Ward: Jeremy Banyard (UKIP), Stuart Martin (Conservative), Nick Murray (Labour) and Andrew Williams (Independent).
– Spa Ward: Mike Chambers (Conservative), Malcolm Gatford (UKIP), Adrian Morgan (Independent) and Andrew Murday (Labour).
Harrogate Borough Council is currently controlled by the Conservative group which has 34 councillors (63 per cent of seats). The remaining 20 are made up of Liberal Democrats (15), Independents (three) and United Alliance Group (two).
Across the borough, 19 seats are being contested on Thursday, May 7.
Ripon City Council (parish elections):
– Minster Ward: Elizabeth Barclay (Green), Jo Bate (Ind*), Brian Chadburn (Conservative), Christopher Hardisty (Ind*), Kenn Hart (UKIP), Sid Hawke (Ind*), Simon Hulme (Conservative), Julie Ann Martin-Long (True Independent Candidate), Pauline McHardy (Ind*), Charlie Powell (Ind*), Mick Stanley (Conservative), Dave Todd (Conservative).
– Moorside Ward: Jeremy Banyard (UKIP), Peter Horton (Ind*), Sarah Jones (Ind*), Adrian Morgan (Ind*), Michael Waiting (Ind*), Andrew Williams (Ind*).
– Spa Ward: Lynette Barnes (Conservative), Mike Chambers (Conservative), Malcolm Gatford (UKIP), Stuart Martin (Conservative), Peter Pearson (Conservative), Richard Willis (Conservative).
Ripon became Independent-controlled in 2007 when its candidates took all 15 seats.
Independents retained control at the last city council election, in 2011, when they took 10 seats to the Conservative’s five but a series of defections has left the council controlled by the Conservatives.
(Key: Ind* = Independent Putting Ripon Before Party Politics).