`

New: Historic Harrogate shop to close

The closure signs up at a historic Harrogate shop this week.
The closure signs up at a historic Harrogate shop this week.

The 'To Let' signs are up - a historic Harrogate shop is to close.

The local branch of a UK-wide menswear chain which first opened in Bradford by Sir Willie Greenwood in 1860 has closure signs up at 14 Parliament Street in Harrogate.


Famed for its suit hire, in particular, and its men's formal wear, the popular firm made strenuous efforts to avoid closures.


The company, orginally a hat shop, was rescued from adminsitration last October when it was bought by Versatile International Trading.
Although 22 stores were closed immediately, the move safeguarded 181 jobs and 40 stores, including Harrogate's.


Now comes the sad news that the Harrogate one, too, is on the way out.


Another change in Harrogate's retail sector sees a 'To Let' sign up at Page & Smith Opticians at Montpellier Hill.
But the good news it has moved to a prime spot elsewhere in town at 4 Royal Parade.

Another story that may interest you...

In pictures: Every empty shop in Harrogate town centre