A COLLECTION of historical documents unveiling Masham’s past is available at the town’s new library.
The documents were stored in the old library above the HSBC bank, and moved with the rest of the library facility to its new home in the community office.
However, there was no complete record of the treasure trove of documents, and members of the town’s Local History Group decided to work on the archive.
The group’s secretary Christine Greensit catalogued the documents, which they now know include Masham Parish Registers from 1599 to 1837, Masham Churchwardens records from 1542 to 1677, a record of monumental inscriptions of the Church and Churchyard of St Mary’s, taken in the 1980’s, Mashamshire Parish Magazines from 1891 - 1976 and a copy of census returns for Masham from 1841.
To help local historians using the archive the local history group now hope to make more improvements and add to the information available about Masham and its history.
They plan to make notes of the contents of several box files and folders full of “miscellaneous documents” to get a full picture of the information they keep.
*For more information about the Local History Group or Masham history email email@example.com.