North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue services were called to fight ‘large flames’ coming from a garage on Wedderburn Drive today (January 15).
Two fire engines from Harrogate arrived on the scene at 1.30pm with the garage ‘well alight’ and initially thought an individual was in the building but, on arrival, discovered the garage was empty.
Fire crews were greeted by large flames from the garage but managed to get the blaze under control in minutes using hose reels, ladders and breathing apparatus.
The garage sustained ‘considerable damage’, including a number of items of gym equipment, with fire crews confirming that the cause of the fire was accidental.
Residents were alerted to the blaze after the smoke alarm went off with a spokesman from the fire service saying: “This is another example of how important smoke detectors are, it gives people warning, and time to get out.”