Family escape blaze in Rainton home.

A MOTHER and two children have escaped a fire in their Rainton home.

The family was taken to hospital with slight smoke inhalation after the blaze their home in the early hours of Sunday, October 23.

Firefighters were called to the house on Carr Lane, Rainton, just after 3am to reports of a fire in a garden shed.

The flames spread to the house’s roof space and the home was left with water damage to the bathroom and a child’s bedroom, while a next door house was left with fire damage to the eaves.

The woman and two children were unhurt but were taken to hospital to be treated for “slight or very slight” smoke inhalation, said a fire service spokesman.