Mother grabbed and kicked police officer following her arrest

A MOTHER-of-two, whose aggression towards paramedics trying to help her after a fall led to police being called, kicked one of the constables after being arrested, a court was told on Tuesday, December 6.

Harrogate magistrates heard how worried residents in the Oakdale Glen area of the town called for an ambulance after they saw Kenya-born Lucy Deacon ‘‘zig-zagging’’ in the street before falling and cutting her head open.

But, said prosecutor Steven Ovenden, when paramedics arrived and tried to help 37-year-old Deacon she greeted them with verbal aggression and tried to walk away. And when police got to the scene, concerns for her welfare led to Deacon, of Burnside Road, Harrogate, being arrested.

Mr Ovenden said instead of being taken into custody she was taken to Harrogate District Hospital where her manner became agitated and aggressive.

She had grabbed and kicked PC Tom Barker and when her agitation increased it had taken two police officers to get her into leg restraints.

When Deacon pleaded guilty to assaulting a police officer in the execution of his duty the court heard she had coupled prescription medication with alcohol and the combination appeared to have been responsible for her actions, which were out of character.

In mitigation Stuart Field said Deacon had been educated to a high level in Nairobi where, while working in tourism, she met the man who was to become her husband, an accountant from the Harrogate area.

Although romance did not blossom while he was on holiday, when Deacon moved to the UK it did and the couple married. In 2005 Deacon gave birth to a daughter and later she had a son.

Her husband had set up his own, initially successful, business and the couple invested in property.

Mr Field said they bought a plot of land for £300,000 and had a home built on it which was valued at £1million.

But things did not progress as expected and when both the primary business and the property sideline felt the effects of the economic downturn, the couple found themselves with financial problems. They tried to sell their house but despite reducing the price to £650,000 it was still unsold. The pair had separated and divorce proceedings had begun.

Mr Field said Deacon’s history of mental health problems – she suffered from post-natal depression – compounded the troubles and at times she turned to drink.

She had drunk the evening before her offence, which was committed on the afternoon of September 23, and that coupled with her medication and the fall she suffered while out walking led to her arrest.

Witnesses called the emergency services and, said Mr Field, to put it mildly she was not in the best frame of mind.

Deacon, who had no previous convictions, had been disturbed at the police presence, and while she could not remember precisely what happened in her anguish, she could not dispute the prosecution evidence that she kicked PC Barker.

Presiding magistrate Eric Fell said it was not in Deacon’s nature to be aggressive and the court’s message to her was to learn a lesson from the incident – don’t drink while on medication.

‘‘The two mix together and that causes problems,’’ he said.

Deacon was conditionally discharged for nine months and ordered to pay costs of £85 and compensation of £30.