Harrogate man fined for selling cigarettes to 11-year-old girl from his home
A man who sold cigarettes to an 11-year-old girl from his Harrogate home has been fined.
Steven Ingles, 51, was investigated by North Yorkshire County Council (NYCC) after he sold the underage girl cigarettes on August 25, 2015.
Mr Ingles appeared at Harrogate Magistrate's Court on Tuesday, March 15, where he was fined Â£200 plus legal costs for his crime.
The prosecution was brought by NYCC as part of an on-going investigation by its Trading Standards officers into illegal sales of cigarettes and tobacco products in the county.
Coun Chris Metcalf, executive member for Trading Standards welcomed the court's decision and said the county council was right to take action against Ingles.
He said: “We work closely with retailers to help them act responsibly in order to prevent underage sales of tobacco. However, we will not hesitate to take action against any that ignore our advice – and the law.
“We will not allow the work of the tobacco control strategy to be undermined by anyone that tries to supply cigarettes illegally, especially to people as young as the 11-year-old in this case.
“Trading standards officers work with colleagues in our public health team to deliver the North Yorkshire Tobacco Control Strategy, which aims to deliver a smoke-free generation by 2025."
The court hearing took place just six days after No Smoking Day, the annual health awareness day aimed at promoting the dangers of smoking and helping users to quit.
Coun David Chance, executive member for public health said there was 'zero tolerance enforcement approach' from the North Yorkshire Tobacco Control Strategy against those who supply cigarettes to children.
He said: “Underage sale of cigarettes undermines the law and the excellent work we do with our partner organisation to deliver our tobacco control strategy.
“We are committed to producing a smoke-free generation by 2025 by reducing the exposure of our most vulnerable young people to the availability of cigarettes and the health risks associated with the use of tobacco products.”