Veterinary surgery says anaesthetic gas leak was not linked to woman’s collapse

News update

News update

Firefighters were called to a North Yorkshire veterinary surgery after reports of an anaesthetic gas leak.

A female member of staff collapsed yesterday while a dog was being operated on at Bishopton Veterinary Group in Studley Road, Ripon.

But the practice has now said the gas leak was not the cause of her collapse as had been suggested.

In its incident logs, North Yorkshire Fire Service recorded: “On arrival, crew confirmed a female had collapsed due to leak of anesthetic gas whilst a dog was being operated on.”

They said she was given oxygen by ambulance staff, while a crew from Ripon and Boroughbridge fire station carried out an scene safety check and gave advice to the surgery staff.

The veterinary group’s business development manager, James Warne, said the suggestion that a gas leak was the cause was “totally unfounded.”

He said: “The anaesthetic gas leak is not the reason for the woman collapsing. It’s a pre-existing medical condition she has.”