Firefighters tackle Ripon house fire

A WORRIED homeowner called the fire brigade when they woke to find their house “full of smoke”.

Flames broke out in the house on Knaresborough Road, Ripon, at around 4am today, Friday, December 23.

Three fire engines were sent to the house, including an aerial ladder platform from Harrogate Fire Station.

Firefighters extinguished the flames and found the fire was caused by an electric fault in a fridge on top of a freezer in the house’s cellar.

The cellar was severely damaged by smoke and flames and the rest of the house suffered 20 percent smoke damage, a fire service spokesman said.