Fire destroys farm grain dryer

editorial image
0
Have your say

A FIRE at a farm in Rainton has destroyed an industrial grain dryer.

The blaze began in the evening yesterday, Tuesday, April 24, and smoke could be seen from the A1.

Firefighters from Ripon and Boroughbridge were called to the scene just after 8pm, and soon called for a water bowser from the Boroughbridge fire station to help battle the flames.

The dryer was totally destroyed by the fire but a propane cylinder in the same building was removed before it could be affected, a fire service spokesman confirmed.

The blaze is believed to have been caused by a fault inside the dryer, he added.

Firefighters left the farm on Dishforth Lane, Rainton at around 10.15pm, and are expected to return and check the scene today.