Relief for Tadcaster as Sam Smith's Brewery withdraws bridge objection

Tadcaster Bridge (s)

Tadcaster Bridge (s)

1
Have your say

Work will progress as planned on Tadcaster bridge after an objection against the plans from Samuel Smith’s Old Brewery was withdrawn.

The recently approved plans to widen the bridge, currently under repair, were thrown into doubt this week when Selby District Council received a seven-page objection to the plans.

The brewery, owned by businessman Humphrey Smith, launched the objection on the grounds that it “contradicted planning policy” and stressed permission should have been refused.

However, the council confirmed on Wednesday that the objection has been withdrawn with North Yorkshire County Council now able to press ahead with the work.

Coun Mark Crane, leader of Selby District Council, said: “This is great news for the whole town, as it means that the repair and improvement works can now go ahead as planned.

“People living in Tadcaster and local businesses have suffered long enough through the loss of their bridge and although we have in place a temporary footbridge what we really need is the main road open once more across the river.”

The town was split in half when severe Boxing Day floods caused a large section of the 18th century bridge to collapse and crumble into the waterway.

Plans to install a temporary footbridge to connect the two sides threatened to hit a stumbling block in January following a further objection from the brewery.

Mr Smith refused to allow the temporary footway to be built on his land, labeling the £300,000 project a waste of money before Tadcaster Albion proposed an alternative location.

Tadcaster resident Kirsty Perkins had planned to organise a “civilised rally” in the community to show support of plans, by marching on the brewery.However, Ms Perkins said she was relieved the objection had been withdrawn.

She said: “From our point of view, we are just overwhelmed that the objection has been withdrawn.

“Whatever caused his change of heart we are thrilled that there will be no further delays in the work and we can look forward to a new safer bridge at the end of the year.”

The government pledged £3m for repair work within days of the bridge collapse, and £1.4m was given by the region’s Local Enterprise Partnership to widen and strengthen the bridge.

The brewery has so far declined to comment.