Developers have been urged to drop their appeal and planning application for a site opposite the Ripon street where a sinkhole opened up last week.
Plans for up to 75 houses on the site of the Ripon Auction Mart were refused by Harrogate Council’s planning committee less than a week before a 25ft sink hole opened up on Magdalen’s Close on Monday, February 17, causing part of a 100-year-old building to crumble.
The plans had been set to go before the council’s planning referral committee for a final decision. However, the council’s head of planning and development, Dave Allenby, said this was no longer appropriate.
He said: “Obviously the incident in Ripon has meant we have got to review the application and decided to agree with the councillors’ decision.”
“We have offered the applicants the opportunity to withdraw the appeal.”
Developers Hunter Page lodged an appeal to the Secretary of State in October 2013 because the council had failed to make a decision on the site within the allocated timeframe.
Hunter Page declined the Gazette’s request for a comment and has not withdrawn its appeal.